E-mail, also known as electronic mail is a way of exchanging messages between electronic devices. Since its invention in the 1960’s, email has become an inevitable part of our daily lives. While surfing the web, sites usually ask you for an email address upon initial entry to send things like updates, new products, etc. If you’re anything like me, you have a back up email used for non-business related, retail or leisure purposes. My Yahoo mail has a whopping 50,000 unread messages simply because I cannot keep up with the rate at which businesses send out pointless emails.

Email marketing is an efficient way to have constant contact with potential consumers when done correctly. As a business it is important that you are aware of the factors that play into the success of email marketing. Many consumers report that retail emails are usually not compelling enough to open.

According to Emarketer retail, of the 1,006 US digital buyers surveyed in a June 2018 study from Yes Lifecycle, a mere 9% of respondents said that they do not ignore emails from retailers leaving the other 91% reporting that they do frequently disregard these emails. The most common reason for disregarding an email from a retailer is the abundance of emails that every user receives on a daily basis. There was one thing that seemed to spark respondent’s interests, incentive. Users have a larger incentive to open emails that are labeled with promotions and discounts. A good example of a promotion that would attract the eye of a possible customer would be launching a ‘Buy one get one free’ advertisement, or in other cases, ‘Subscribe today and you will get a discount.’  A study conducted by Adobe in June reported that 50% of smartphone US users cited email as the preferred contact method to receive an offer from brands.

With these statistics in mind, businesses should limit their daily automatic emails and only send out ones that will leave consumers motivated to open them by using promotions, bringing them revenue and website traffic.

by Audrey Rowe